Burda’s Asymmetric tee for Core Wardrobe building

Asymmetric Tee

This shirt really was rollercoaster experience for me. At first site I was pretty crazy about this top. I mean come on; black and white, stripes, asymmetry, mod styling. In true fashion I had to think about it, wait for the pattern to go on sale, and find the perfect fabric. Still very excited about it.

Burda 01/2014 122

Then, fabric ready and pattern printed, hesitation set in like no tomorrow. I was concerned this would be too long and the funky shaped pattern pieces did not lend themselves to getting a good measure of the finished product. I’m on the shorter side (5’4″) and really did not want a too long top, which could easily happen with this design. I also wanted this top to be more fitted so the gathers weren’t too droopy.

Burda Asymetric tee

In true Burda fashion, pattern details like finished measurements and instructions are of little help or non-existent, so I would have to make guesses at getting a good fit. After a few days of hemming and hawing, I just dove in. Still unsure. Hoping I wasn’t wasting this great fabric.

Burda asymmetric tee

Let me include that I downloaded the pattern, so I did not have the advantage of the better sewing instructions that are included in the January 2014 magazine.

I  used my size, a 40,  but did not add a seam allowance (they are not included in the pattern) I serged with a 3/8in seam allowance. Success number one, it’s fitted but not tight.  I shortened the pattern by removing 2.5in from the bodice hem line and 3in from the sleeve length. Success number two is a length that is working for me. I tried to stripe match between the sleeve and bodice but used a point that ended up under the arm. I should have lined up the stripes at the top of the sleeve. Stripe matching was a bust but not really a big deal.

Burda Asymmetric tee

A few more details:  I gathered the sides with a basting stitch, basted clear elastic tape on top of the gathers, then serged the side seams. I serged the sleeve seams then inserted them into the bodice. One sleeve connects with a gathered part of the bodice. I pinned the sleeve in, then gathered that part of the bodice to fit before serging in that sleeve.

Burda Asymmetric tee

I did a neckline insertion by sewing in an 18in neckband loop into the 21in opening. I hemmed the sleeves and bodice by folding up 1in secured with a stretch stitch.

Burda Asymmetric tee by mahlicadesigns

I used a cotton/spandex jersey knit in Midnight Navy/Heathered Gray Stripe (no longer available) from Fabric Mart.

Burda 01/2014 #122  should take you less than 2 hours.

Fabric $13*   Pattern $5    Total Cost: $18

*I include shipping in my calculations

Sew Long Summer Wrap Up & Contest winners

mahlicadesigns collage 15

Sew Long Summer sew along has concluded. It was fun to see all the creations you made and it’s hard to say goodbye to seeing what everyone has been sharing in the link ups, facebook, flickr, and Instagram.

I’m thankful for my co-hosts who have put in a lot of work behind the scenes to make the sew along happen, including offering some of the prizes for our contests.

Cindy Parrett

Cindy Parrett collage 15

Elizabeth Made This

Elizabeth collage 15

Sewn by Ashley

Ashley collage 15

Musings of a Seamstress

Sarah collage 15

mahlicadesigns (that’s me!)

mahlicadesigns collage 15


A special thanks to Striped Swallow Designs for offering a pattern of choice to the winner of Summer Crush contest and Paprika Patterns for offering the Jasper Sweater pattern as a prize in our Fabulous Fall contest.

Now, it’s time to give away those prizes.

The winner of the Sewists’ Package giveaway is Melissa S. of Thread and Scissors. Take a look at what Melissa made for the sew along and send her your congratulations on the box of sewing goodies coming her way.

Sewist Package winner collage

The winner of the Summer Crush contest for a $25 Wawak gift card & a Striped Swallow Designs pattern is Diane at Gatorbunny Sews.

Summer Crush 15 winner collage

We especially liked how well the jumpsuit fit and that big smile reveals how happy her daughter is with it.

The winner of the Jasper Sweater pattern for our Fabulous Fall Contest is Maartje from huisje boompje boefjes.

We especially liked the color combination, and creative piecing to make this dress a great fall piece.

Winners, watch your inbox so we can get you those prizes.


Thank you all for following along and participating in Sew Long Summer.

Holi-Daze Wrap Up

Holi-Daze week has come to an end. It was fun to see the variety in what we’re making.

Some of my favorites are:

Ashley’s Crepe dress

Cindy’s cape

And now for a reminder, we have just a few more days to enter your items for the Fabulous Fall week contest.