The Clean Slate Pant

Thanks to a lot of hand me downs and grandma volunteering at the thrift store, my LO is pretty well stocked for clothes. Gone is the idea that I would make most of his wardrobe, but thankfully there is opportunity to fill in some gaps. This week I worked up some trousers using the Clean Slate Pant pattern from Melly Sews and used a linen with a greenish cast and a green checked cotton from my stash to do it.

100_3343

LO seems to out grow his pants in length long before the waist, so I modified the pattern just slightly to add a contrast cuff that I could fold up to start and then fold down as LO gets longer. The pattern includes a 1.5in hem allowance. I reduced that down to a 0.5in seam allowance and added a 1.5in finished cuff instead. Supper cute and a great idea. Its too bad I didn’t check the finished length on the pattern to see that they would be way too long for my little shorty. Whoops.

20140304_084443

To add extra sweetness and to tie in the contrasting cuffs, I used the same green checks for the pockets. The project took me two and a half hours all together.

100_3341

This is the second pattern from Melly Sews that I’ve used. I’d recommend her patterns for sure. She gives clear instructions and has good pictures to help you along; plus she’s an indy pattern maker.

100_3345

I originally pulled out this linen to make a sorbetto dress for myself, but as pale as I am its not a good color for me to wear. I’m pretty tempted to go ahead with the dress and use the green checks as bias tape trim on the inside neckline. Wouldn’t we be such a cute mommy and son pair? I should stick to my first thought though, since he’ll outgrow these pants in a blink of an eye and I’ll still have a dress that makes me look washed out.

Advertisements

The Blank Tank

Melly Sews first offered her Blake Slate Basics pattern set about two years ago, just at the time we found out that we would have a baby boy.

I’m so glad that I bought the Blank Slate Basics as a set, they really are a great value. Melly has really put together great instructions and pictures. I’m already lining up more projects to use her patterns for my little guy.

100_3348

I’ve worked up the blank tank pattern by upcycling one of my husband’s too holey tee shirts. I can’t think of a better use for his old tees than to make this so easy to put together top for baby.

 Thanks to lots of hand me downs and grandma’s thrift shopping, LO already has a full summer wardrobe for this year. Thinking ahead (how unusual), I made the tank for summer 2015 in a 3T. Plenty of room to grow into.

Abigail Bib by mahlicadesigns

I recently made a Caterpillar Onesie as a gift for a girlfriend’s new baby, shortly thereafter I received an invite for a welcome baby party. I sure didn’t want to show up empty handed , so I needed something quick and easy since my new little guy (three months old now) doesn’t give me much time for sewing and crafting any more. Hurray again for Pinterest. I love the bibs made over at Stubbornly Crafty and used her template to make my own simplified version.

Here’s how I made mine.

Supplies: Approximately one 12 x 15 piece each of terry cloth and quilter’s cotton, coordinating ribbon, and sew on velcro.

Cut out one bib in each of the fabrics using the template. Aline your ribbon across the quilters cotton and sew in place along the top and bottom edge of the ribbon. Using one of your machines fancy stitches might look nice here.

Place your bib pieces right sides together. Starting about three inches from one of the bottom corners, stitch toward the corner and around the bib. After rounding back around the other bottom corner, stop stitching to leave an opening about four inches so you may turn the bib right side out. Clip the seam allowance in the curved areas. Turn your bib and use a tool to push out the corners and curves.

Pin the bottom opening closed. Top stitch around the entire bib, being sure to catch the front and back of the bottom opening to secure it shut.

Sew on your velcro to each side of the neck flaps. Be sure one piece is sewn on the front, and one piece to the back so it will close properly.

Follow me on Pinterest