I finally had the chance to join the Denver Sewing Collective for one of their meet ups in June. Theme for the night was a blouse sew-along, though I think I was the only one working on a blouse. I really appreciated the opportunity to spend the evening with other sewers as we worked on projects and got to know each other.
Generally, I followed the pattern except:
I added about 2in to the length at the bottom hem line since I thought the finished examples looked a little short. I added a couple of layers of ruffles to my front neckline to spruce up this pretty simple silhouette.
Hemming, one of the tedious parts of construction for me, is made easier by the use of bias tape around the neckline and arm openings. The ruffles added quite a bit of thickness around the neckline, but I was still o.k. with a 1/2in wide double binding.
Next time I’d shorten the length of the darts, I’m not a fan of how far they come across the chest.
I’d recommend the pattern as a good beginner project or if you’re looking for a quick and easy project. The instructions state that the sizes run small for a fitted look. Heed that warning.
My mother gave me some nice home dec fabric samples that I’ve been thinking of using for bib accents on blouses. This pattern may be a good contender for that future project.